Delta 8 is gaining popularity as an alternative to Delta 9 THC, the main psychoactive component of cannabis. It has been found to induce a mild feeling of euphoria without the intense psychoactive effects of Delta 9. Studies are now suggesting that Delta 8 may have several beneficial effects on mood, including reducing anxiety and improving focus and alertness.
This is due to the way Delta 8 interacts with the body’s endocannabinoid system, which is responsible for maintaining homeostasis in the body. In this article, we will explore the science behind delta 8 for sale and its effects on mood, as well as the potential benefits it may have for those seeking a natural remedy to reduce anxiety and improve focus.
How Does Delta 8 Work?
Delta 8 is the non-psychoactive precursor to Delta 9 THC. This means it is a naturally occurring compound found in the cannabis plant that can be converted into Delta 9 THC. Delta 8 works by binding to CB1 receptors in the brain. CB1 receptors are responsible for establishing the endocannabinoid system (ECS) which is vital for maintaining homeostasis in the body. The ECS consists of two main receptors, CB1 and CB2, as well as enzymes responsible for producing, breaking down, and transporting cannabinoids throughout the body.
The primary function of the ECS is to maintain homeostasis in the brain and body by regulating mood, pain sensation, energy balance, and various cognitive functions. This includes things like regulating appetite, sleep, and memory. The ECS also plays an important role in managing stress and anxiety.
The Science Behind Delta 8 Effects on Mood
Delta 8 has been found to have a predominantly calming effect as opposed to the “head high” effect of THC. It has been suggested that this is due to the compound being broken down into two main metabolites in the body: 11-hydroxy-tetrahydrocannabinol, which can induce a state of drowsiness, and 11-nor-9-carboxy-tetrahydrocannabinol which has been found to be anxiolytic (anti-anxiety).
Studies are now suggesting that Delta 8 may have several beneficial effects on mood, including reducing anxiety and improving focus and alertness. This is due to the way Delta 8 interacts with the body’s endocannabinoid system, which is responsible for maintaining homeostasis in the body.
Benefits of Delta 8 on Mood
– Mood Enhancement – Studies suggest that Delta 8 may have mood-boosting effects as it is converted into Delta 9 THC, a compound known to induce a mild feeling of euphoria. This means that Delta 8 may be an effective mood enhancer, particularly for those that do not desire the psychoactive effects of THC.
– Reduced Anxiety – Delta 8 has been found to have anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) properties and may be particularly beneficial for those prone to anxiety or stress.
– Improved Focus – Studies suggest that Delta 8 may also have cognition-enhancing effects, meaning it could enhance focus and attention.
– Reduced Insomnia – It has been found that Delta 8 can help induce a calm and relaxed state, which is typically associated with better sleep.
– Improved Mood in Older Adults – Delta 8 has been shown to improve mood in those over the age of 50 while reducing feelings of anxiety and stress.
Potential Side Effects of Delta 8
– Drowsiness – Due to the likely metabolites of Delta 8, it is likely that users may experience feelings of drowsiness. This can be especially problematic for those with insomnia and may require a reduction in dosage.
– Reduced Alertness – As with many anti-anxiety medications, it may be advised that users avoid driving or performing tasks that require alertness while under the influence of Delta 8.
– Dry Mouth – Given Delta 8’s effects on the body’s endocannabinoid system, it is likely that it may cause dry mouth, particularly when used in high doses.
How to Safely Use Delta 8
– Start Low and Go Slow – Given the predominantly calming effects of Delta 8, it is recommended that users start with a low dose and slowly increase as needed. It is important to note that the effects of Delta 8 will vary from person to person.
– Avoid Taking with Alcohol – Given the likely metabolites of Delta 8, it is not recommended that users combine the compound with alcohol. This can increase the effects of drowsiness and reduce alertness, which can be problematic for those behind the wheel.
– Avoid Taking With Other Anxiety Medications – It is advised that those using anxiety medication avoid using Delta 8 as it may have a synergistic effect, which can have negative consequences.
– Avoid Taking with other Mood Enhancers – Given the likely mood-boosting effects of Delta 8, it is advised that users avoid taking it with other mood enhancers. This includes things like caffeine and other stimulants.